Wirral Councils Emergency Financial Support for People with Welfare Needs


Wirral Council have released a list of emergency financial support available for the welfare needs of our residents.

  • Get help within your community

Many residents needing help financially will receive this from family and friends, neighbours and local organisations that are working hard to support their communities.

To find out more about the help available in your community, visit the Wirral InfoBank website.

  • Get help if you need advice about debt or changes to your income

Covid-19 has affected the financial situation of many of our residents.

The ‘Ask Us Wirral’ service run by Citizen Advice Wirral can help if you need specialist benefits, debt, or housing advice.

Call 0300 33 00 111 and if the line is busy, leave a message for the team to get back to you.

Find out about sick pay and your rights if you are off sick, self-isolating or home-working here

You can also get advice if you have become unemployed or are self-employed and this has resulted in changes to your income.

Call the Citizens Advice Wirral ‘Help to Claim’ team on 0800 144 8444 or visit the website to find further information about benefits you may be entitled to relating to Covid-19.

  • Get help if you can pay for your food shopping but need some assistance

You can ask for help if you pay for your food shopping but are vulnerable or self-isolating because of Covid-19 and are unable to shop.

Wirral Council may be able to refer you to a shopping service run by a local charity or help you get a priority supermarket delivery slot.

You can ask for this help by completing an emergency support request form here.

If you can afford to pay for your food shopping and want to shop online but don’t have the means, call Wirral Coronavirus Helpline on 0151 666 5050 who may be able to refer you to a local charity to provide help with equipment and support to get online.

If you have been written to by the government as you are Clinically Extremely Vulnerable (CEV) and you can afford to pay for food and have internet access, you can sign up for a priority supermarket delivery slot via Gov.uk’s website.

  • Apply for emergency financial support with welfare needs

Financial support for individuals and families in crisis due to an emergency or disaster may be available from Wirral Council.

This may include help for those leaving a care home, prison, hospital or similar, to become established in the community.

To respond to the impact of the Covid-19 pandemic, this scheme temporarily replaces the council’s Local Welfare Assistance Scheme.

You must be:

  • Aged 16 or Over
  • A Wirral resident or intending to be (that is, or has accommodation secured)
  • Requiring support to address your own essential needs or the needs of their dependants
  • Able to demonstrate that you are unable to access any other timely resource or other ways of meeting this need which are considered reasonable
  • Able to demonstrate that your health and safety, and that of your dependants would be adversely affected if an award was not made.

The scheme does not cover:

  • Cash (money lost or stolen)
  • Funeral costs – visit Gov.uk for support
  • Maternity costs for new baby items – visit Gov.uk for support
  • Rent costs – you can get help through the council’s bond scheme or discretionary housing payments.
  • Essential repairs to your home; if you rent your home your landlord is responsible for repairs. If you own your own property, you may be able to apply for a heating and renovation loan.
  • Essential furniture if you rent a furnished accommodation; your landlord is responsible for providing this.
  • School uniform, for help, visit Wirral FUSS
  • Clothing to attend a funeral or job interview

Wirral Council will ask about your circumstances and your financial situation so your needs can be assessed.

Residents who are newly claiming Universal Credit and are waiting for their first payment, should ask for an advance on their Universal Credit award before applying through this scheme for help with food or utilities.

An individual can ask for an advanced payment at the Jobcentre or can call freephone 0800 328 5644

  • Help with food

Wirral Foodbank works with local agencies to help people who are struggling to put food on the table.

If you need an emergency food parcel, a local agency may be able to provide you with an emergency foodbank voucher for the Wirral Foodbank.

Visit Wirral Foodbank for details of agencies that can assist you.

Emergency financial support may also be available from Wirral Council for individuals and families in crisis who are in urgent need of specialist food that cannot be supplied by Wirral Foodbank and cannot pay.

The council will be able to provide financial help for three days’ worth of food for people with a specific food need related to a medical or health condition or due to religion or culture.

Apply for emergency support here.

  • Help with utilities

If you are having problems topping up your gas and electricity as a result of financial hardship, you should contact your energy supplier.

Wirral Council can only help with your gas and electricity under urgent circumstances as a one off, if this is the case, complete an emergency request form here.

  • Help with household and personal items

Emergency financial support may be available from Wirral Council for individuals and families who meet the above criteria and who need help with household items such as: white goods; essential furniture and kitchen items; bedding; clothing and other items.

If an award is granted, some of these items may be provided directly through an external supplier.

Apply here.

After requesting support, Wirral Council will aim to process your application for food or utilities within two working days.

They will aim to process your application for other welfare support within five working days. The council will request additional information or documentation from you at the time of your application and as part of the assessment.

Do not apply against whilst waiting for a response, as this may affect the time it takes to process your request.

If you need help completing forms, you can call the Wirral Coronavirus Helpline on 0151 666 5050, Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm

Support workers or other agencies can make applications on behalf of someone else. Friends and family are also able to help someone with an application.

‘Wirral Change’ also supports residents who may struggle accessing the Wirral Foodbank Service via the Helpline or online form if their first language is not English or they have other needs.

For advice and guidance from Wirral change, call 0151 649 8177 or email info@wirralchange.org.uk


Comments are closed.

Subscribe To OurMonthly News Bulletin

Subscribe To OurMonthly News Bulletin

Don't worry! No spam! To our subscribers we send information on some of the important policy changes effecting the third sector, news on local events and a lot more.

You have Successfully Subscribed!