Not for profit organisations, including schools that are located within 2 miles of a One Stop shop can apply for grants of up to £1,000 for projects that benefit their local community. One Stop’s ‘Carriers for Causes’ is funded through the money raised from the 5p bag charge in One Stop stores in England, Wales and Scotland.
The grants are available for a wide range of activities and the funding will cover the direct costs needed to deliver the project. Projects eligible for funding include:
- One off community events such as community fun day expenses, summer youth camp, litter picking, sports events, expenses to pay for terminally ill cancer patients on visits to the seaside.
- Purchasing items to run a project such as specialised medical equipment, football/cricket /netball kit for local junior club, arts and craft materials for a workshop, kitchen equipment for a healthy eating project, marketing materials for an event, fishing kit for youth project.
- Improvements to community buildings such as painting, refurbishing buildings such as hospices, scout or guide huts, school building, community centres.
- Improvements to external spaces such as park clean ups, community gardens, hospital/hospice gardens, disabled access projects, food growing projects, woodland walk.
- Purchasing materials to undertake a place based improvement project such as buying paint, litter pickers, gravel, grass seed, plants, and benches.
Applications can be submitted at any time and are shortlisted on a quarterly basis for panel decision which will take place every three months. Applicants will generally know the outcome of your application within 16 weeks of applying.