Paid • Full Time • Fixed Term Contract • £8.25 – £10.50/hour
Helping people make the best use of their waste and recycling services is one of the most effective ways to achieve local environmental sustainability and here’s your chance to do just that!
We’re looking for a team of people to work on a three-month project in Wirral. This is a great opportunity to gain hand-on experience in the recycling sector and ideal for students or graduates looking to gain a foothold in the sector – and anyone else interested in making a positive local difference to environmental sustainablility.
EnviroComms is a specialist environmental communications company, currently engaged by Wirral Council to deliver a waste and recycling assessment project to help residents maximise their use of these services.
The Council supports their residents by providing additional wheelie bins for general rubbish, to those that require it. This is normally to accommodate periods when people generate unusually large amounts of general rubbish (such as nappies). However, it is not uncommon to find that when people have this extra capacity for rubbish, they use this rather than recycle. Recycling is much better for the environment and costs the council far less than disposing of rubbish.
This project will involve assessing whether residents require additional rubbish bins and are recycling correctly. To do this, we need a team of people to undertake the following tasks:
- Working in small groups visit properties that have two rubbish bins and assess how they are being used
- Record those observations into a hand-held tablet device
- Hang an information tab onto bins
- Some public engagement may also be required
- Work will be done on the day of waste collections and you’ll need to work ahead of the collection crew at all times.
You should note therefore that early starts are required (6.00am).
No experience in this type of work is required (although if you have some, great). The most important things we look for are a ‘can-do’ attitude, being a team player and a sharp eye for detail. Full training is provided. Ideally you’ll posses some or all of the following:
- Commitment to team working
- Willingness to work outdoors in all weathers
- Willingness to start work early in the morning
- Be a good communicator
- Punctuality and reliability
- Be able to work at rapid pace without any loss in quality of work
- Be familiar with App usage
- Have an interest in environmental protection
DRIVERS NEEDED TOO!
We need four of the team we recruit to be able to drive and have their own car and be willing to use their car on this project for which they will be remunerated in addition to their salary.
Closing date: Friday, 31st August 2018
The project commences in late August and will be completed by the end of October 2018.