Community Action Wirral attended the excellent Charity Autumn update at the Quaker Meeting House on School Lane.
Speakers included BWM Chartered Accountants, the Charity Commission, Browne Jacobson, CFG and DSC.
Talking points included:
- VAT will be going digital www.gov.uk/government/news/hmrc-publishes-more-information-on-making-tax-digital
- A bulletin 2 SORP update will be issued soon. (With a consolidated SORP due out in 2019 and a new SORP due out in 2021) www.charitysorp.org
- Recent Charity Commission guidance included an alert for insider fraud. www.gov.uk/government/news/alert-for-charities-be-aware-of-insider-fraud-threats
- The annual report is an opportunity for organisations to demonstrate impact which is often missed. Also, there is a failure to understand and report on the reserves policy.
- The Charity Commission have just published their new five-year strategy. www.gov.uk/government/news/ensuring-charity-can-thrive-and-inspire-trust-so-that-people-can-improve-lives-and-strengthen-society
- Some resources with regard to fraud: www.actionfraud.police.uk/charities, www.charitiesagainstfraud.org.uk, and www.cybersecurity-gov.uk
- The issue of Independence has been highlighted. Defined as a relationship with other organisations that are not a charity, engaged in joint projects to further common interests, or involved in joint branding and shared resources.