Sharks Community Trust is looking for an enthusiastic and inspiring team player who has a proven ability to plan and deliver a high quality education programme at their new Advantage Programme centre at The Hive (Birkenhead). The Advantage Project is aimed at young people not currently in education, employment and training (NEET) and the position will combine a passion for education and sport with strong organisational, communication and administrative skills.
Hours: Full time
Salary: £19-20K depending on experience
Reports to: Programme Manager
Closing date: Wednesday 20th June 2018
Interview date: Thursday 5th July 2018
The Advantage Programme Tutor will work with 16 – 19 year old young people, who were previously not in employment, education or training by using sport and education to increase their confidence, skills and motivation. The project provides young people with increased opportunities and qualifications to gain an apprenticeship or employment by providing a unique mix of education, employability, sport and mentoring based sessions.
The successful candidate will be expected to deliver all aspects of education and enrichment activities based at the Hive Youth Zone. The Programme Tutor will also support the Programme Manager with the recruitment of young people onto the project and progress them towards a positive destination (apprenticeship, job or a place in full time education).
Programme Tutors will plan and deliver a Level 1 or Level 2 qualification, English and Maths Functional Skills, issue based sessions, employability sessions and unique enrichment sessions.
Applicants will ideally hold a valid driving license and have access to a suitable vehicle. Due to the nature of the project, applicants may occasionally need to work evenings/weekends and arrange overnight trips for the participants.
The successful applicant will be representing Sale Sharks, hence, they must be professional, approachable and personable at all times, promoting themselves and the club in a positive light.
- To deliver all aspects of education and enrichment activities as part of the Advantage Programme.
- To work with the Programme Manager to develop and deliver engaging education sessions for 16-19 year olds. These will include a Level 1/Level 2 qualification, employability and English and Maths Functional Skills.
- To support the Programme Manager in recruiting participants onto the project, including developing and maintaining a strong relationship with referral organisations.
- To deliver a number of issue-based sessions (e.g. drug and alcohol awareness, improving mental wellbeing, developing healthy relationships) developed in conjunction with the Sale Sharks Social Inclusion Manager.
- To keep accurate monitoring records for all sessions and contribute to the gathering and analysis of evaluation information for activities and individuals within those activities.
- To support the Programme Manager to progress participants onto an apprenticeship, job or further full-time education, at a higher level.
- To work with Safer Neighbourhood Teams, Youth Groups, Schools and other local agencies to encourage links and to recruit and support ongoing participation and achievement by young people.
- To deliver multi sport sessions at identified venues, coordinating competitions and other events as appropriate. All activities should be appropriate to the needs of the target audience and be in line with the Sharks Community Trust Strategic Aims.
- Teaching qualification (a minimum of Level 3 in Education and Training)
- Experience of working with challenging young adults in an educational setting
- Experience of delivering classroom based sessions, particularly English and Maths Functional Skills.
- A passion for sport and an understanding of wider issues related to sport, health and education
- An enthusiastic and committed individual who will ‘go the extra mile’ to deliver results
- Excellent organisation and time management skills
- Excellent communication and motivation skills
- Willingness to work flexible hours
- An ability to inspire others
- NGB Level 1 coaching awards
- Assessor or IV awards
- Degree – strong academic record
- Previous experience of working within a sporting environment
- Experience of working with NEET young people
- A valid driving license and access to own vehicle
The successful candidate will have to undergo an enhanced DBS check to work with children and vulnerable adults.
Please send a CV and covering letter detailing relevant experience and how you meet the person specification to: Tom Leader – [email protected] detailing the position you are applying for in the subject header.