PLACED Environmental Academy, is a FREE youth-led programme of activities, events and professional development opportunities for young people currently in Years 9 – 12 who live in the Liverpool City Region (Liverpool, St Helens, Wirral, Sefton, Halton, Knowsley).
The PLACED Academy is designed to tackle the barriers that young people face in accessing professional careers in the built environment, including careers such as architecture, planning, urban design and project management. It seeks to support greater diversity in the sector, enable participants to develop their skills and confidence and empower them as active members of society.
Our fourth Academy programme has the environment and sustainability at its heart. Participants will come together to explore how the built environment can have a positive impact on the environment. They will explore issues in their local area, research, plan and deliver a community engagement campaign, before taking on design challenges that encourage them to use their creative thinking skills to come up with ways we can build better, more sustainable places. You can find more information about the programme here.
PLACED Environmental Academy participants will:
- Participate in creative projects and professional development activities through collaborative sessions and independent work (online and face-to-face).
- Increase their confidence, and develop knowledge and skills including design, communication, team working, presenting, problem solving, campaigning and community action.
- Benefit from direct support from industry mentors including architects, planners, interior designers, developers, environmental experts, researchers, and community leaders offering expert knowledge and unique insight into careers and study routes.
- Gain experience that will enhance their CV and university applications, helping them stand out from the crowd.
- The Academy is COMPLETELY FREE to attend
- All sessions take place outside of school time and require NO school attendance or support
- We are looking for young people with a range of interests and abilities
- It will consist of approximately 13 sessions between June – November 2021 and take place over Zoom with some face-to-face sessions in Liverpool. Confirmed dates can be found here
- Participants must live in Liverpool, St Helens, Wirral, Sefton, Halton or Knowsley
- Just 30 places are available.
Applications are now OPEN and will close 10th May 2021.
This programme is funded by Liverpool City Region Combined Authority and Metro Mayor along with the support of Buttress Architects, Planit, DMA, MGMA, Prince Architects, Places Matter, Layer, FWP, Wedge Collective, OMI, Cobalt Housing and FCH.