The Ministry of Defence (MoD) is offering funding of up to 50% for community celebration events and activities taking place on or around Saturday 24 June 2017 – Armed Forces Day 2018. Grants of up to £10,000 to cover up to 50% of the costs involved in running and event may be awarded.
This could include:
- Picnic in the park
- Themed BBQ
- Knees up in your living room
- Street party
Event organisers should in the first instance register their event on the Armed Forces Day website.
Local councils, community organisations, schools, ex-service organisations and individuals in the UK are eligible to apply for events that:
- Are held within 2 weeks of the Armed Forces Day, including the weekends i.e. between Saturday 23 June – Sunday 8 July
- Have ‘Armed Forces’ in the event title
- Are relevant to today’s serving Armed Forces
- Have free access to members of the ‘Armed Forces Family’ – Serving personnel, Veterans, Cadets and their Families (though charges may be made for parking, programs etc.)
- Are not centred around Fundraising or Recruitment
The Armed Forces Day website provides ideas, inspiration and resources including posters and decoration ideas; there is a dedicated resource page for schools that includes assembly kits.
The deadline for submitting applications is Monday 30th April 2018
Events already being planned include:
Armed Forces Day Community Event, Portsmouth – A free event for all the family showcasing the Armed Forces Family though a variety of interactive activities, displays and demonstrations as well as an Armed Forces Parade.
Padiham on Parade Armed Forces Weekend – A Ballroom Blitz Dinner Dance on Saturday 23rd June, to start off a fun filled week culminating in the Padiham on Parade event.