BBC Children in Need’s aim is to continue to support disadvantaged children and young people across the UK. In light of the COVID-19 pandemic, we have paused our normal Small and Main Grants Programmes.
We wanted to focus our efforts on faster response programmes including:
- Emergency Essentials for families and children with critical needs such as a bed to sleep in and cooker to give them a hot meal
- 2020 Booster Grants programme for current grant-holders. This enables organisations to adapt and change at pace to meet the needs of children and young people.
We have also used this time to:
- Find out more about the emerging needs of the sector
- Listen to the experiences of children and young people
- Engage in an ongoing dialogue with other funders.
In these most pressured times, we wanted to make sure that we used and continue to use this information to enable us to adapt as a funder.
We are aware of the need for extra resources for organisations to adapt so we are launching the COVID-19 Next Steps programme. This will assist you to reach and continue to meet the needs of disadvantaged children and young people. We especially want to support the young people disproportionally affected by the pandemic.
We expect that this fund will be over-subscribed and only a proportion of applications will be successful. The deadline for this programme is 1 July 2020. We will assess applications in the order we receive them and track demand closely. We may need to take steps to help us manage the number of applications we receive and will keep you updated on this.