Volunteer Town Host Support
Responsible to: BID Co-ordinator
Responsible for: Created by Wirral Chamber of Commerce, Birkenhead BID (Business Improvement District) aims to make Birkenhead a safe and pleasant place to visit and do business in. If you’ve visited Birkenhead recently you may have already met Birkenhead BID’s Town Hosts, who have been appointed to help visitors make the most of their time in Birkenhead and offer advice on places to visit or things to do.
If you love Wirral and would like to support the work of the Town Hosts, this may be the role for you.
Through daily patrols, the Town Hosts keep the area safe and clean for shoppers, support local businesses and work with the Local Authority to deal with any issues affecting local businesses.
You will be the friendly face of Birkenhead/Liscard for anyone wanting to know what’s on or where to find a particular service – be that local shops, bus stops and taxi ranks, hotels, visitor attractions or places to eat. You will visit local businesses to find out what’s new, see if they have any matters the local authority should be aware of and help them access support to maintain a healthy business environment.
You will keep a regular eye out for local ‘grot spots’ created by litter, graffiti and illegal fly tipping so that clean-up operations can be arranged.
- Provide a visible and presentable ‘meet and greet’ visitor information service
- Act as an ambassador for Birkenhead or the Liscard area
- Encourage responsible behaviour of people visiting the town centre
- To assist with activities such as festivals, meetings, events, crime reduction initiatives and markets
- Ensure Flyposting or Fly Tipping is photographed and dealt with immediately or reported to the relevant departments within the Council for removal
- To patrol in and around the designated BID area and help keep the Town Centre clean and tidy through litter picking and graffiti control
- Complete a daily log and record defined street nuisance problems
- To suggest solutions to reduce anti-social behaviour and other criminal activity
- To monitor the street environment and ensure that defective paving and street furniture is reported
- To carry out surveys and/or distribute promotional materials of upcoming offers, events and attractions
Attributes and Competencies:
Communication skills, A friendly, enthusiastic and approachable nature. Effective time management. All volunteers need to work well and supportive in a team. With a keen eye for detail, you will have to complete a daily log and record defined street nuisance problems including illegal trading, on street drinking, skateboarding, cycling in pedestrian areas and maintain a database of incidents. No previous experience is required, as training is provided.
This role does not include:
Advice or support in relation to a person’s or organisation’s medical, personal or financial affairs.
What will you need to wear?
Volunteers are asked to dress appropriately. Lanyard and jacket (provided by the Chamber of Commerce) to be visible at all times when undertaking volunteer activities.
What benefits can you expect as a volunteer?
Volunteers will part of an enthusiastic and supportive team. We are committed to enabling and empowering our volunteers to utilise their existing skills whilst learning and developing new skills.
About Town Hosts
Requirements – Application Form, Two References and Informal Chat
Training & Development – An in-house training program will be provided before the role starts.
More info – If you’d like to know more about Birkenhead BID, please visit https://www.birkenheadfirst.co.uk/