The Skipton Building Society Charitable Foundation was established in February 2000 and is exclusive to registered charities and support is given by way of direct donations. The Society makes an annual payment to the Foundation to fund these grants.
Independent of the Society and its policies, the Foundation’s decisions are determined by a Board of Trustees, the majority of which are independent of the Society.
The Charitable Foundation is run by six trustees, including four who are independent of the Society. It’s their job to decide which good causes will benefit from our support. The foundation is supported by two volunteer administrators.
Here’s how the Charitable Foundation has helped:
- We’ve given away over £1.6 million since our first donation in 2000
- We’ve given donations to over 400 good causes
- We donated £150,000 to around 85 good causes in 2015
We will consider donations:
- To registered charities based in the UK, particularly in areas near the Society’s Principal Office or one of its branches
- Where there is clear and immediate benefit to the recipients in the UK
- Where charities’ objectives are to benefit children, through education and/or welfare, youth schemes and projects, or the elderly and their care
- Where the charity can provide its last two years’ annual accounts
- Up to £3,000
We won’t consider donations:
- To non-registered charities or individuals
- To activities which are primarily the responsibility of central or local government or other responsible bodies
- Towards running costs including rent or staff wages
- Towards restoration or upkeep of buildings
- Holidays, residential trips or overseas travel
- Towards fundraising events, sponsorship or marketing appeals
- Towards the cost or maintenance of vehicles
- To large national charities
- From charities which have successfully applied to the Foundation within the previous 5 years
- From charities which have applied to the Foundation within the previous two years
The Trustees usually meet quarterly in March, June, September and December. Following the meeting we will write to you and let you know whether or not your application has been successful.