- This event has passed.
Training: How to win supporters and funds online
February 26 @ 09:30 - 16:30
Please note, this training is organised by Institute of Fundraising North-West.
Focusing on the fundraising rather than the technology, this course will give you a thorough understanding of how you can use popular websites and tools to support and extend your donor base and increase the money you raise.
This course will show you how charities and voluntary organisations are successfully taking advantage of online channels. Focusing on the fundraising rather than the technology, it will give you a thorough understanding of how you can use popular websites and tools to support and extend your donor base and increase the money you raise. The emphasis is on practical advice and giving you ideas that will be relevant to your organisation which you can implement quickly and usually at very low or no cost.
Online fundraising has moved on from just running a good website and emailing your supporters. Your supporters, members, alumni and donors are now spending their time at other popular sites like Facebook, Twitter and YouTube – they are getting used to publishing their own content online – including photos, videos and blog posts – so you need to follow your donors.
Who should attend:
This course is for all fundraisers who want to gain an understanding of this important and emerging area of fundraising.
Benefits to you and your organisation
This course will give you the confidence and knowledge to use social media effectively as part of your own, and/or your team’s fundraising activities. Your organisation will benefit from the effective use of social media which should increase supporter engagement and, ultimately increase funds.
By the end of this course you will be able to:
- Develop a social media strategy that works for you and your organisation
- Use the hands-on skills needed to develop an income generating social media strategy
- Understand the UK social media landscape including Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, YouTube, blogs, forums, podcasts and other social networks and which are the most important and effective Use key tools to identify and target your potential supporters
- Recruit and retain supporters and donors through understanding the process of finding a new audience and converting them into active donors, supporters and volunteers
- Convert one off donations into regular gifts
- Use the experience of charities large and small on staffing social media, using it in fundraising, marketing, and communications
- Measure success and effectiveness on social media platforms
The course will also help you think about some of the changes and opportunities that are coming, such as mobile, social commerce, transparency, curation, location, and instant search.
Delegates are invited to bring their laptops, tablets or other mobile devices with them and take the opportunity to put their learning into immediate practice, but it’s not essential.
About Your Tutor:
Howard Lake is a digital fundraising entrepreneur. After fundraising at Oxfam, Afghanaid and Amnesty International UK he set up UK Fundraising in 1994, the world’s first web resource for professional fundraisers. He has run it ever since turning it into a respected source of fundraising information and community. He wrote the world’s first book on internet fundraising in 1996 and has trained thousands of fundraisers in many aspects of digital fundraising since then in the UK and overseas.
To book your place, please visit Eventbrite.